Friday, October 2, 2009

Whats in a Name?

Everyone knows that famous line from Romeo & Juliet.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Well I have spent a week trying to come up with a name that would serve the dream blog in my head justice. One that could be fun and themed (I work well with themes!) and have meaning. Night Owl Notions came to me last night. Ohhhhhh around 2:30 this morning it hit me with the thought "I need to go to bed and stop being a night owl!"

"Ooooo," I thought to myself, "I like that!" I started to roll ideas around in my head. Eventually the word Notions popped into my head. I liked it but wasn't 100% sold on it. So I took a trip to dictionary.com to see what it had to say about my potential word. It fit exactly what I wanted. Here is the definition:
no·tion
(nō'shən)

n.
  1. A belief or opinion.

  2. A mental image or representation; an idea or conception.

  3. A fanciful impulse; a whim. See Synonyms at idea.

  4. notions Small lightweight items for household use, such as needles, buttons, and thread.


[Middle English nocioun, concept, from Latin nōtiō, nōtiōn-, from nōtus, known, past participle of nōscere, to get to know; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.]

Considering this blog will be full of my opinions (everyone's got one!) the first definition was dead on. The second is of course all the ideas that rule my head, be they mine or someone elses! The third, who knows what may pop up based on a whim?! and the fourth, I plan to do many crafts with all the little assortments of notions!

So thats how "Night Owl Notions" was born!

No comments:

Post a Comment